With regard to monetary strategy, it plays a crucial role as its teams of economists and market operators help to prepare and implement the decisions of the ECB’s Governing Council:
- Its reports and research, analyses and forecasts, and surveys and statistics enable it to construct in-depth macroeconomic and financial assessments which are used to inform the ECB’s policy decisions.
- Its presence in the markets, expertise on counterparties and guarantees, and thorough knowledge of monetary policy transmission mechanisms enable it to implement ECB decisions effectively and take part in deliberations on changes to the operational framework.
As guardian of the currency, the Bank is charged with delivering price stability and maintaining public confidence in cash:
- The Banque de France is the largest printer of euro bank notes and has two manufacturing sites in the Auvergne region: a paper-mill in Vic-le Comte and a printing works in Chamalières.
- It ensures the quality of banknotes and coins, taking worn or damaged banknotes out of circulation.
With regard to financial stability, the Banque de France plays a dual role of protection and supervision:
- It is responsible for strengthening regulations and monitoring risks, and for ensuring the safety of savers’ deposits.
- In conjunction with the ACPR, it oversees the financial sector (777 banks and 827 insurance companies and mutual institutions), ensures the smooth operation of payment systems and market infrastructures and regularly assesses the risks and weaknesses in the financial system.
Its economic services are targeted at households and businesses:
- It provides practical services to people in severe financial difficulty. In 2015 it handled and resolved some 237,000 cases of household over-indebtedness and ensured 69,000 people were given access to basic banking services.
- For SMEs, its services include company ratings, credit mediation and support for very small enterprises.
- The Bank also compiles national and regional surveys of economic conditions that are widely sought after by business leaders.